To help with the control of pet over-population, the Ballston Spa Veterinary Clinic offers a Trap, Neuter, Release Program for feral cats in the area. The practice provides this service to the community in exchange for a donation to their Pet Assistance Fund which will in turn help others in our community care for their pets:
Spay (female) – $65
Neuter (male) – $65
The above prices include:
- The Spay or Neuter Surgery
- A Rabies Vaccine
- Flea treatment/dewormer
- A Carprofen Injection for pain control
- Fluids to help support the animal during surgery
*FIV/FeLv testing is done at the doctor’s discretion for an additional $72.00.
*A Distemper vaccine can be administered for an additional $35.00
All animals brought in for the Trap/Neuter/Release Program will get their ear notched with no exceptions. This is for easy identification of cats that have already been trapped. It is mandatory, as this prevents already spayed and neutered feral cats from being re-trapped and brought back in for surgery. Additionally, if a cat is found to be positive for Feline Leukemia or FIV, they will be humanely euthanized.
If you have feral cats that you would like to bring in for the Trap, Neuter, Release Program, please follow the steps below:
- All feral cats MUST be caught in a have-a-heart live trap. Any cats brought in regular cat carriers will not be treated. This is for the safety of both the animals and the staff.
- Call the Ballston Spa Veterinary Clinic at 518-885-5650 to schedule an appointment for the following day (or for that day if you have caught them before surgery has begun) and let them know that you will be bringing in a feral cat. Only 2 TNR cats are scheduled per doctor per day. Surgery is performed Monday through Friday with a 7:15-8:30 am admit time.
- Keep the cat contained in the live trap with a towel or sheet placed over the trap. This helps keep them calm. If the cat is already in the trap, do not give them any food. If they already have food in the trap, do not try to remove it.
- On your scheduled day, admit the cat(s) between 7:15-8:30 am for surgery. Leave the cat(s) in the car on the side of the building, check in at the front desk, and let them know you have a feral cat. You will need to fill out brief paperwork and pay at that time (we do not do billing). The client service representatives will let you know to bring the cat(s) to the treatment room at the side entrance. Please knock and the technician/assistant will help you.
- Expect a phone call letting you know the cat(s) is/are done with surgery and are ready to be picked up. Please stay as close as possible the Ballston Spa area so you are able to pick up as soon as they are ready to go.
- The following day, release the cat back to the area it was found following the discharge instructions.