Lyme disease is a serious problem in Saratoga County, especially this year with such a mild winter! We have seen hundreds of dogs that have been infected by this bug. Fortunately, we are not currently seeing this disease in the cat. The tick is most active in the spring from March to May and again in the fall from September to November, but we see tick bites ALL YEAR LONG. Even in the dead of winter, on a day over 40 degrees, the ticks are actively biting.
Symptoms of Lyme Disease:
- Most commonly severe and sudden joint pain which can be in all four legs at once or can shift from one leg to another.
- We also commonly see fever, loss of appetite and lethargy.
- In rare, but very serious cases, Lyme disease attacks the kidneys in a condition called Lyme nephritis which is almost always deadly.
At Ballston Spa Veterinary Clinic we take Lyme disease prevention very seriously! There are three aspects of prevention which are all very important:
- Year-round tick prevention – oral flea/tick prevention with Bravecto or topical
- Lyme vaccination
- Checking your pet after every outing to look for and remove ticks right away. The O’Tom Tick Puller makes the job simple (purchase a set of 2 for $6.70 at BSVC). Yes, your dog can still get ticks when you use any other tick preventative, none of them are perfect, so PULL ANY TICKS YOU SEE IMMEDIATELY – they need to be attached for at least 24 hours before they can spread the disease, so immediate removal can prevent Lyme disease.
For the month of December we are offering the following deal to help you prevent Lyme disease in your dog…
BRAVECTO (Year-Round Monthly Tick/Flea Oral Prevention):
- $10 off 4 doses of Bravecto during the month of December.
- In addition, you also receive the manufacturer rebate: a $35 check for 4 doses. That means that it is BUY 3 GET 1 FREE!
- Receive a free Bravecto water bottle, lunch bag, bandana, travel lint remover or poop bag dispenser with a purchase of 4 doses while supplies last.